Monday, February 28, 2011

Green Mashed Potatoes

It's true. Today, I made green mashed potatoes AND my kids ate them! I was too lazy to get the camera out, so I didn't take any pictures. But, really, you must make them at home.

For some reason I've been on an avocado kick lately. I've been putting them in smoothies and salads and they've been delicious. They really make smoothies creamy. Now, I've never in my life made mashed potatoes but I started thinking that an avocado would probably make mashed potatoes pretty creamy, too. I was right. THEY WERE UNBELIEVABLE! My kids loved them. I loved them. It's taking every ounce of will power I have not to get the leftovers out of the fridge right now.

Garlic and Avocado Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes, cubed
Garlic (to taste), minced
1T butter or butter substitute
Vegetable (or other flavor) broth
1 Avocado
Salt and Pepper

Cube potatoes (I used 6 and had leftovers after feeding 1 adult and 3 children.) Place in the bottom of an appropriately sized pot. Pour broth over potatoes so that broth is about an inch higher than potatoes. Boil the broth and then let the potatoes simmer until they are easily pierced with a fork.

In the meantime, melt the butter in a sauce pan and then saute until lightly browned. Also, peal the avocado and chop into small pieces.

Put the garlic, avocado and potatoes in your blender (I actually used a Ninja) or bowl to hand mash. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup cooking broth, as well. Blend. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment