Saturday, February 19, 2011

There's Something Wrong

I've always been interested in living a more simple, natural lifestyle. I'm intrigued by healthier foods, less chemicals and the like. But, I'm also, at times, lazy. With three kids and a (not into anything natural at all) husband, it's often easier to just have processed food for meals. I mean, how can I work full time AND deal with completely changing our food and living habits? Well, life has essentially kicked me in the gut and told me that it's time to start taking all of this more seriously.

A few years ago, I began having an aversion to wine. This was crazy sad, because I really like wine. First I couldn't have red wine, then it turned into white, too. Any wine at all would make me incredibly sick. Next...gin. This kept going until, now, the only thing I can really drink is vodka. And, only a small bit. (Please know that this is fine - I've always been just a social drinker. I just didn't realize that my stomach was trying to tell me something.)

After the alcohol, my body decided that it didn't like milk. For better or worse, my family has always been huge milk drinkers. I gave it up a few months ago and for a short time, my belly felt better. That was short-lived, though. I think it's time to go dairy-free.

I've talked with friends and family, who have all recommended various foods, supplements, detox kits and diets to help with my issues. Eliminate processed sugars, eliminate dairy, eat more veggies. This is all easier said than done, though, and I'm not sure who much I can stick with.

I met with a woman at a health food store today and we came up with the beginning of a plan. This will have to evolve into more. I will also have to, at some point, bring my family into it. For now, though, this is what I'm doing:

Taking acidophilus each day
Taking Chlorella each day*
Drinking a detox tea each morning
Drinking a bedtime tea each night
Eating nothing but fruits, veggies and lean protein for meals

I'm going to follow this plan for two weeks. If it's working at all, I should know by then. I imagine I will be adding and subtracting foods to see what works. I will also be trying to document things here, so that I can not only get support, but to also (hopefully) help someone else who may be having similar problems. (My "problems" include rosacea, stomach cramping and pain, headaches and sleeplessness.)

Let's see what happens!

*I'm nervous about this one. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with it? I'm taking much less than the recommended dose for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment