Friday, February 25, 2011

I'm still trying

Until last night, things had been going pretty well. I mean, I did eat the couscous. But, that was much better than the story I'm about to tell you!

We had a work dinner at Russell's Steak House last night. I had a feeling that I would cheat a little. I don't get to go there very often and they have some great items. But, I also thought I would I would be able to keep it mostly together. However, I ordered a glass of chardonnay before dinner, even as my brain was screaming that I should just have some water. So, one glass of wine in, I decided that I shouldn't have the ahi tuna that I had my eye on. No...I should have surf-and-turf with pepperjack stuffed shrimp. Then, one of my coworkers suggested that we share goat cheese stuffed banana peppers as an appetizer. How could I say no?

As we ordered, red wine was poured for everyone at the table. Man, was it good! The glass never emptied. If it got even close, the waiter added more. All of the side dishes were ala carte, and my heart dropped when I saw someone had ordered lobster macaroni and cheese. Another thing I couldn't say no to.

Partway through my EXCELLENT dinner, one of the VPs order me a glass of Stoli Elite on the rocks. Um, you need to know, this is one of the best vodkas ever made. You should also know that I had no business drinking it!

After dinner, I ordered a cup of decaf coffee. I thought I would make it through without dessert, but was somehow convinced to get the creme brulee sampler. A sampler. I ate 3 (small) desserts.

My body went into a full-fledged attack on me! I had been eating nothing but veggies and protein and I went ahead and gorged on fat, dairy and alcohol. Now, I don't necessarily regret it. I won't be back at the restaurant for a long time. I got really sick, though. This was definitely a lesson that moderation is key.

I got back on track today. It's just me and two of the kids at home tonight. I had sushi while they ate a "special" dinner of Stouffer's mac-n-cheese. They also made ice cream sundaes (I think I'm being rather indulgent, no?) while they watch a movie. I just grabbed my laptop after helping them with their dessert and am sitting with the puppies. I don't even want it.

Despite my questionable behavior, I think I'll make it!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to splurge! ;-) Glad you've made a full recovery, though. I'm just mad I wasn't told you had stuffed banana peppers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banish the word "cheat" - it's an outdated concept!

    ReplyDelete